Harry Maguire says he is ‘shocked and gutted’ after being left out of England’s World Cup squad by Thomas Tuchel – much to the anger of his mum – but Ivan Toney has won a surprise recall.
Tuchel names his 26-man squad for the tournament today – and Maguire is not on his list. Manchester City’s Phil Foden and Chelsea’s Cole Palmer have also been axed, while left backs Lewis Hall, of Newcastle, and Manchester United’s Luke Shaw are both omitted.
The in-form Morgan Gibbs-White, of Nottingham Forest, is overlooked.
The inclusion of Toney is a shock, given the Al-Ahli striker has played just three minutes under Tuchel and has not been in a squad since last June. Ollie Watkins will complete the centre-forward unit with captain Harry Kane.
But Maguire, 33, is incredulous. The Manchester United defender said: ‘I was confident I could have played a major part this summer for my country after the season I’ve had. I’ve been left shocked and gutted by the decision. I wish the players all the best.’
Maguire’s mum, Zoe, responded to the post writing: ‘You couldn’t have done anymore. Hold your head high… Disgraceful. Disgusted.’
Harry Maguire is not in Thomas Tuchel’s World Cup squad – to be announced on Friday
Maguire’s mother Zoe (right) branded the decision ‘disgraceful’ in a social media post
Tuchel has difficult decisions to make ahead of taking England to the United States
Tuchel is set to include Marc Guehi, Ezri Konsa, Jarell Quansah, Dan Burn and John Stones as his centre backs. Nico O’Reilly is likely to be the starting left back, while Tino Livramento is in, despite missing the last month of the season with injury at Newcastle.
The absence of Gibbs-White is not a surprise, but his brilliant performances for Forest of late had given rise to hope of a recall. Jude Bellingham, Eberechi Eze and Morgan Rogers will be Tuchel’s No.10s, with Anthony Gordon, Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford and Noni Madueke in wide areas.
Declan Rice, Elliot Anderson, Jordan Henderson and Kobbie Mainoo will form the squad’s midfield quartet.
Maguire, who has just signed a new contract at United, had been hopeful of inclusion after turning his career around this season under manager Michael Carrick.
But he continues to have the shadow of a Mykonos police assault case hanging over him from 2020.
Earlier this year the prosecutors behind his conviction in Greece called for him to not be allowed to go to the World Cup after he was handed a 15-month suspended sentence.
Maguire was found guilty of non-serious assault, resisting arrest and attempted bribery in relation to the incident six years ago following a retrial in the Greek Criminal Appeal Court on the island of Syros in March and has called the case a shambles and said he plans to appeal.
Ivan Toney, who is playing in Saudi Arabia, has earned a shock call-up to the England squad
Cole Palmer is another high-profile absentee from Thomas Tuchel’s England squad
Morgan Gibbs-White’s stunning late season form has not proved enough to secure a place
In a statement to Daily Mail Sport, Ioannis Paradissis, the lawyer for the police officers who claimed they were injured trying to arrest Maguire, said: ‘Our clients’ position is that, in light of his conviction and the fact that he now has a criminal record for violent crimes — even if he lodges an appeal on points of law only — Mr Maguire should not be permitted to continue representing higher-level sports teams, including participation in the Premier League or international competitions such as the World Cup.
‘We also understand there is a game scheduled in the United States. Since he now holds a criminal record, it is highly unlikely he would be granted a visa or ESTA. This would, in any event, prevent him from travelling to or competing there and thus be a problem for his team.’
Maguire, who has earned 66 caps for England, has represented the Three Lions at three major tournaments but was also left out of England’s squad for Euro 2024 after failing to recover from an injury.
The defender has featured in all of England’s matches at the last two World Cups, helping the Three Lions to reach the semi-finals at Russia 2018 and the quarter-finals of Qatar 2022.
However, Maguire has featured in just three of England’s internationals since Euro 2024.Â
He started in the first match of Lee Carsley’s interim spell against the Republic of Ireland in September 2024. Maguire’s only appearances under Tuchel came in the most recent international friendlies in March.
Phil Foden is set to miss out on the squad despite improved performances in recent weeks
The Man United defender played the duration of a 1-1 draw with Uruguay, as well as seven minutes of a 1-0 home defeat by Japan.
Foden is also set to miss out, despite turning in some improved performances for Pep Guardiola in recent weeks, but left himself too much to do ahead of the World Cup.
Tuchel had offered Foden two chances to impress during the March international break but the German admitted that he was unable to replicate energetic displays in training to matches.
The 25-year-old has been a bit-part player for City in recent months but is set to sign a new long-term contract.
While a bitter blow for Foden, England and City will hope that a summer off can act as a springboard to return to the sort of form that saw him crowned PFA Player of the Year in 2024.
