Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released from police custody after he was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.Â
New photographs show the former Duke of York being driven away from Aylsham police station in Norfolk this evening.Â
He was detained this morning while officers searched properties in Norfolk and Berkshire – his former home at Royal Lodge.
Police detectives have been probing his conduct as a trade envoy for the UK after emails in the Epstein Files suggested he shared confidential information with his paedophile friend including reports of his official visits and potential investment opportunities.
King Charles said the ‘law must take its course’ in his first public remarks reacting to the arrest with his statement supported by the Prince and Princess of Wales.
Breaking:Thames Valley Police gives update on Andrew investigation
A spokesperson for the force said:
Thames Valley Police is able to provide an update in relation to an investigation into the offence of misconduct in public office.
On Thursday we arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
The arrested man has now been released under investigation.
We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded.
New photographs show Andrew leaving police custody
Andrew has been pictured being driven away from Aylsham police station in Norfolk this evening.
It was not immediately clear whether Andrew has been released under investigation or on bail, with the latter likely coming with certain conditions.
Breaking:Prince Andrew has been released from custody
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released from police custody, following his arrest on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Andrew, who turned 66 today, was detained by officers during an 8am raid on his new home at Wood Farm, on the Sandringham estate.
Thames Valley Police confirmed the former prince had been arrested just after 10am on Thursday, with officers having 24 hours to hold him without charge from the time he arrived at a police station.
Aerial photographs show Royal Lodge today after Andrew was taken into custody
By Sarah Vine, Columnist
‘Our hearts are broken.’ That is what I wrote in these pages on the day the Queen died, in September 2022, and I think we all felt it deeply.
How her heart would be broken now by the arrest of her beloved son, Andrew Mountbatten Windsor, on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
For the late Queen, who always did her best to uphold the highest moral standards and who worked so hard in the service of her nation and people, the knowledge of his ignominy would have been too hard to bear – as would the inescapable fact that he has dragged not only the Windsor name, but her own reputation as monarch, through the mud.
Read the full story on Mail+ below:
IN PICTURES: Policeman stands at an entrance to Wood Farm on the Royal Family’s Sandringham Estate in Norfolk
By Ryan Hooper, Crime Correspondent
The splendour of the Grade II-listed Royal Lodge will have felt a world away when the heavy police cell door clinked shut behind Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor as he checked in to his far less ostentatious new digs today.
The 30-room mansion in Windsor Great Park? Long gone. The staff waiting on hand and foot? A distant memory.
Perhaps a birthday cake or some other small gesture to mark one’s latest orbit around the sun? Not a snowball’s chance.
Instead, the former Duke of York spent the majority of his 66th birthday holed up in police custody.
‘It’ll be no bigger than a box-room in a three-bed semi,’ retired Met Police sergeant Graham Wettone, author of How To Be A Police Officer, told the Daily Mail.
‘There’s no facility for any preferential treatment in any custody suite I’ve ever been in.
Read the full story below:
By Katherine Lawton and Rebecca English
King Charles shared a laugh with Stella McCartney as they sat on the front row of a catwalk at London Fashion Week this afternoon – hours after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested.
The monarch appeared composed as he took his seat next to the British fashion designer, 54, before they entered into a conversation ahead of Tolu Coker’s show in central London today.
At one point, Charles erupted into laughter as McCartney looked at him with a shocked and amused expression.
Read the full story below:
US congressman hopes for ‘accountability’ after Andrew’s arrest
A democrat member of the US House Oversight Committee, who has previously called for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor to sit for a transcribed interview under oath in front of Congress, has said he hopes the arrest will ‘show that there will be accountability’.
Suhas Subramanyam said in a statement: ‘He (Andrew) appears repeatedly in the documents we have uncovered as having knowledge of Jeffrey Epstein’s crimes and is specifically named by victims as someone who engaged in wrongdoing.
‘Yet he has continued to ignore our calls to cooperate with the Oversight Committee’s investigation.
‘We hope today’s arrest will lead to answers and show that there will be accountability even if you hide, regardless of how rich and powerful you are.’
WATCH: Charles carries on with his engagements as he visits London Fashion Week
Share or comment on this article:
Andrew is released under investigation following arrest, police confirm: Latest updates on shamed ex-Prince