
Both Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury are set to have fights before they clash towards the end of the year, but, while ‘AJ’s opponent is secured, ‘The Gypsy King’ is yet to announce his.
Fury made his comeback last month, outpointing Arslanbek Makhmudov at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. He called out Joshua during his post-fight interview, with terms having since been agreed for a long-awaited meeting later in the year.
However, before the event can be formally announced, Joshua must overcome his ‘warm-up’ opponent, Kristian Prenga, whom he fights in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, on Saturday, July 25.
Meanwhile, Fury is also seeking another outing before he collides with Joshua, and he recently said that news on his opponent would soon be revealed whilst wearing a Mexican football shirt, hinting that former Joshua rival, Andy Ruiz Jr, could be in the opposing corner. The former unified champion, who upset ‘AJ’ to win the belts in 2019, has also expressed interest in the fight.
Promoter Eddie Hearn is not convinced, however, telling Seconds Out the Fury would not risk such a dangerous match-up, even despite Ruiz’s inactivity.
“Absolutely no chance. He would never take the risk against Andy Ruiz before ‘AJ’. If he fights again, he will be fighting someone levels below Makhmudov. [Which is] good, by the way, I don’t want him to fight anybody else.
“I don’t mind him having a fight. I know that people will say that Joshua is going to steamroll Prenga, good, I hope that he does, but it ain’t going to be easy – none of these fights are easy.
“In an ideal world, I wouldn’t want him [Fury] to have another fight, but if he wants to, let’s make sure it is nice and easy and [then] get those two in the ring.”
Fury has said he will return in August, so news of his opponent is expected soon.
